Tuesday 17 May 2011

Kylie's groovy Grannies and other delights

Look what the postman brought me -a  pink paper package tied up with string! [OK, first it was in a giant paper postal sack with a customs label, but that isn't so pretty, or as easy to bastardize song lyrics for.]


It's a parcel from the very lovely Kylie at Lucy Violet Vintage who blogs about her incredible op-shop and roadside finds in Perth, Australia. If you haven't checked out her site yet, wherever have you been? Kylie got sick of me bellyaching that there were no granny blankets to be had in my neck of the woods - at least not without paying silly money - and promptly shipped some off to me. Vintage granny blankets made by vintage Aussie Nannas - I love them! (Kylie had been a bit worried that by the time the boat came in I'd have made my own, but those of you who have seen my crochet endeavours here and here will know that was never going to be very likely).




I was further spoiled this week by our resident flamingo fancier and kitsch lover Scarlett of Scarlett loves Elvis who sent me a patriotic Welsh dragon apron she pounced on for me in a charity shop - perfect for making my welshcakes. (It was also in pink paper, but I was too busy ripping it open to find a camera). I haven't got a decent photo yet so you will have to imagine its glory, but here's a pic of my new yurrhrin's (as they are inexplicably pronounced in the valleys), also from Scarlett. They're brilliant - and I have the perfect nail varnish to match. Thanks lovely! 



Finally, thanks ever so much to Janys from Arty Crafty Stuff, who recently sent me one of her gorgeous  notepads, handmade with her own block printed painting on the cover. It's gone straight into my new (to me) handbag. You can see more of Janys' work on her blog or at her DaWanda shop


Anyway, whilst out and about in the charity shops and boot sales of South London I have also found myself spotting things I think my blogging buddies would like, and it got me thinking. I've seen swaps on other blogs - does anyone fancy Faith Hope and Charity Swapping? I haven't thought the details through fully yet - now there's a surprise - but it would probably involve letting me know you fancy it, me sorting out the swappers (I'm guessing most will be in the UK, but if you'd be up for posting internationally, or if I can find a swapper in your country, then great) and deciding on a little budget, theme and deadline. Then you check your partner's blog, find out a bit about them, and look out for second hand treasure and handmade loveliness you think they'd like. Result - everyone gets lovely parcels in the post. Anyone up for it? Let me know and I'll sort out a button and an 'official' post.

Lakota x

Edit: You don't have to blog about second hand stuff particularly, open to anyone who fancies it



37 comments:

  1. A swap sounds fantastic! I would be in! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What gorgeous blankies, I love granny blankets and they are soooo cosy and snuggly!

    You have a splendid week haven't you! Those earing are lovely, my Amy would love them.

    Can't wait to see you in your pinny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a swap is a great idea! If someone would be willing to send to Arizona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww fabulous Kylie with the blankets - their fab! Great ear shot of the earrings ;o) Glad you like them. Well up for taking part in a swap sounds fun :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be up for a swap too, sounds like it would be fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have you know, I am perfectly capable of pronouncing earrings (but only when speaking to non-Welsh people!).
    Even though my blog doesn't focus on charity shopping/thrifting it is a big part of my life. I would be well up for a swap as, like you I often see the perfect item for a fellow blogger. Just the other week I eyed up a tea set that had Scarlett written all over it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that second granny blanket, GREAT colours, what a star!
    As for 'swop shop' yes, yes, yes please! I'm happy to post anywhere in the world if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My (many) charity shop finds are quite hidden in my blog as I am mainly a crafter but would love to take part in a swap too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woot!!! love the granny blanket from Kylie and cute earring from dear Scarlett as well as the welsh dragon apron *trying to imagine it* hehehe, i'm up for swapping party, would be fun!! x Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your goodies and I want to see you donning your Welsh Dragon pinny, too.
    The blog swap sounds a lovely idea. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. aawww what lovely blankets how kind bless her. I would love to take part in the swap please ;-)) have a lovely week, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your crochet is waaaaay better than mine. I can make a chain. Anything after that is a messy jumble. And oh those blankets from Kylie are brilliant!

    Yeah I'm up for a swap. Sounds fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely "grannies". I'd love to take part in the swap. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd be interested in taking part in a swap - although i sort of gave up on my blog before it had a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, I'll give it a go (she says with trepidation....;P)

    K xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful blankets. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes please!

    I kinda mentioned it over on Magpie Monday but couldn't figure out how it would work.

    It would be great if it could, I'm really keen :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i like the sound of swapping...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the sound of a swap too! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabby-tastic idea!! Count me in :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the granny blankets im lucky as my mum has made me some as i cant crochet to save my life lol
    A swap sounds fun x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, am definitely up for a swap - haven't done one for ages. Love your granny blankets BTW. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous granny blankies and earrings. Lucky you! Funnily enough, I saw a "Welsh maid" tray in the chaz shop yesterday and thought of you! It wasn't very nice though so I declined to buy it. A swap does sound fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm absolutely up for a swap! :-) I've been completely uninspired with the bargain hunting and blogging for the past couple of weeks so I'm sorry I haven't stopped by, Lakota! Those granny blankets are fantastic - Kylie is such a sweetie for sending you some fabulousness :-) The yuurrinhs are some serious vintage kitsch loveliness too!!

    Hmm, already mentally shopping for lovely things I could send to my swapp-ee!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely goodies. I'm mad for swaps...not only do people get wonderful suprise parcels, it's a great way to meet fellow bloggers. I'm so up for a swap.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Signing up here as well as the next post, cos I got confused. But only count me in once please!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a great idea! I often see things and think oh so and so would love that! Please count me in x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Blimey, you've been spoilt rotten!

    Count me in for the swap too please - it sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great things in the post!

    Count me in for a swap please :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely idea, I'd be in for a swap...I'm in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, thanks for your comments and for the follow on the blog. I'm very happy to follow you back, lovely blog! I love the idea of the swap so count me in! I'm up for any excuse to buy something vintage! x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Im in Aussie, but count me in on the Swaping, please. http://simply-cute-shopping.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.