Tuesday 7 August 2012

Ta-dah! Show us your bra!

Yes, stop the presses, I've finally - I think - found a strapless bra that fits. For someone who is having ridiculous issues with finding my mojo again when it comes to clothes, I seem to have no problem accumulating underwear. I added the latest addition to my lingerie stash and decided a clear out was massively overdue.

Going through my 3 hat-boxes of bras, knickers and hosiery took at least an hour and I unearthed items which I have no recollection of buying, plus six bras I no longer need and a strapless wonderbra which is torturous to wear for a whole day. Oxfam has revealed that British women have nearly 1.2 billion pounds worth of unused bras languishing in their drawers (as a whole, not each, though I'd not fancy adding up everything I've spent on lingerie) and that we each own an average of 9, with 3 of these unworn. I probably have more like 20 in total, and I did indeed have 3 that don't fit, plus 3 nursing bras which I will be glad to see the back of.

680x150
photo: Oxfam

Oxfam launched their 'great bra hunt' in April and are sending many of those collected to Senegal where they can be sorted and sold by social enterprise Frip Ethique, providing an income and job security for the local women who work there. British made bras are particularly sought after in Senegal, as there are few businesses able to make good quality underwear. They're still collecting - so I'm planning to take mine in this week. Why don't you have a look through your own underwear drawer? I bet there's at least one which you never wear, and a good clear out is doubly satisfying if your unwanted items can benefit someone else. You can find your nearest branch of Oxfam here.

As an alternative, Breast Talk are collecting bras which are then bought by a textile company for £1 per kilo. The bras are again sold to traders in West Africa, and the money paid by the textile company goes directly to the charity Breast Cancer Campaign. Over £8,000 has already been raised, and if you'd like to get involved this way then send your bras - washed and checked for rips or dodgy clasps - in a jiffy bag to the following address:

Breast Talk.co.uk - bra appeal
PO Box 71
Craven Arms
Shropshire
SY7 0WZ

They specify nothing too sexy or see-through please, and if the bra is brand new, please say so.

*******

So, have you been prancing about with a great outfit over your undies? Or are you a legend in your own lingerie in the crafting stakes? Bought, cooked or achieved something brilliant? Link up all your posts worthy of a ta-dah in the linky below as usual. I really recommend trying to check out some other participants' blogs if you can - there are great ideas every week.



Hello also to new followers and to everyone who has left a comment recently, thank you. I'll try to get around to visiting soon. Did you see I announced the winner of the Gemmipop Designs Giveaway?

Lakota x

35 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea - I'm certain I have at least a couple barely-worn bras to donate, will have a rummage later on!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, great post Lakota!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have an abundance of bras, my booboids always seem to be changing size though because I seem to go up and down in weight, so when I next have to sort them all out I will definitely send my old ones off to that charity. It's such a shame to dispose of barely worn bras.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I gave about 10 bras to Oxfam in April, as I'd heard about it, most of them were new, ones I hadn't worn but had bought without trying on then lost receipts! (why?! Idiot that I am!) but I hope they will be used well!
    Yep, I have more bras than the average person but someone of them are rarely worn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have some boulder holders I can send their way, good work lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a brilliant idea i haven't heard of either but i will be checking through my draws now we have an oxfam here. I have tried to link my post up to you today but i cant seem to leave my details on your page you know what im like with technology every time i type all the details in the page crashes so i will try again later. dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, I really must have a sort out. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, 9 bras on average per woman?? That is insanely not-very-many, thought it'd be more. I'm down to about 40 now, but then I managed a lingerie shop for ages, I used to have WAY more! It's so great that better use can be made of them via charities.xx.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really must sort my bra drawer out, I'm sure I can find some to donate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea and have already donated a couple of my bras to Oxfam xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fab idea! I think you've got my fair share as well, I rarely wear the things...hate them with a passion. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a promise to myself at last years Victorias Secret sale that I would never buy a bra again. It's been a year and I have stuck to it. I own too many as it is. What a wonderful way to give back, if mine weren't so dam sexy I would send some of them off :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great charity- I hate giving bras to the thrift stores- I don't know I feel all squirmish about donating my privvies, but what a good cause, right? I have all sorts of bras that don't fit- and only 2 that do. You've got me thinking it's time to lighten the load. Ta dah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a good idea. I will definitely check through my drawers (no pun intended)! I've been through so many since I had Miss 5, all going in the wrong direction (nuff said). Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

    PS. Yes you need to post your dress from Clare!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a lot of men at my local Oxfam who are a bit odd and they recognise me so I can imagine their delight when I bring in my old bras for them to play with. Still it's a great idea. I love finding perfect bras, mine seem to be great for a while then start to try and sink into my skin. Anyway - clearing out undies is a great TA DA! so well done! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll try again :o) Couldn't work it out this morning even though I've linked in before!
    I shall be having a sort out of the mountain of bras that I own but never wear! My mother in law is forever buying them in the M&S sale but they are rarely to my liking :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. *Uhggg Bra's*
    I have the worst time trying to find comfy bras... or bras that fit good for heavens sakes. I used to try and buy them cheap from stores like walmart.... but only there best quality ones really do a great job. The time I was happiest is when Mr. Coco let me order 3 from Victoria secret. They are my faorite ones and feel as if they were molded for my mounds. *lmao*

    A few weeks back Mr. and I had just pulled into the parking lot of a store. I felt something weird poking my armpit.... OMG my underwire was half out of my bra!! I just pulled it out from my dress and Mr.'s expression was hilarious. I know for a fact that my boobs probably looked odd that day. One side of my bra looked like a lemon the other like a orange. DAMN UNDERWIRE!!
    P.s. this was a newer "cheap" bra too. I also think that the blasted metal piece of tha bra is still in the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate bras. Really hate them. None fit. I have taken to supporty bra tops as at least I'm supported. I have loads I should get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous idea anfor a good cause.
    I have way too many bras but mostly see through.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! Will check whether there is a similar program here. Show us your bra, Lakota! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you have my share too... I only have a few that fit me properly. I usually just have to chuck my old bras out as I wear them until they fall apart.


    Well done on finding a good strapless bra - we'll expect to see lots of outfit posts with you wearing strapless cocktail dresses and the like :)

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have a huge pile of bras anymore as I throw them away as soon as it doesn't fit right anymore. It sure is not easy sometimes to find a good fitting bra or any underwear. :) Congrats on finding the perfect strapless bra for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the tip. I always thought charities wouldn't want bras, but I guess I was wrong. I no longer have any to spare. I went to one of those old-time lingerie shops (the kind that sell "foundation garments") and had a professional fitting. Turns out I had been wearing the wrong size for years. So I freecycled about 30 bras. The woman who came to pick them up was quite a bit bigger than the size of bra I was giving away, so I have no idea what she was going to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so gonna sort the bra's I bought and never wear out - Great cause

    Gems x

    Fashion, Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's such a wonderful idea! Enjoy your weekend dear.
    Will have to make something to link up next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a great idea, I will deffo have a sort out and drop off to Oxfam. So good to see something that is lying unused and wasted go where it is needed

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay! Finally managed to trick Picasa into letting me post a photo! Linked up at last! (2 more bras are in the charity bag...)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joining in with ta dah for the very first time. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is so cool! Thanks for sharing this!

    Lindsey Turner
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a fantastic fundraising idea! Loving your recent nail art on the sidebar too xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. We have a different kind of hygiene and I think it's not good to give in the charities our used underwear. We should give them something new and they will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi sweetie, pop over to my blog :)

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think this is such a great idea and it's such a good idea having bra banks at recycle places now. I feel sorry for my dad having to take them there though, poor guy! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.