Thursday 26 September 2013

Guess who's back, back again?

Hiya. Yeah it's me. I got into drugs, went to rehab, got clean, put out another album, bitched about the critics and found that Kanye West had stolen my thunder...Oh no, wait, that's Eminem. I'm just using him as a sneaky way of bypassing long explanations and justifications as to where I've been. I'll probably get round to that. But if anything could haul my arse out of hibernation it would be the prospect of a blogger meet-up in London town. And not just any old meetup, but a super transatlantic inter-city multi-national one. It was gritty, but glamorous. And if Film4 made it, it would be called:

"EAST END BARBIE HOOKERS"


STARRING...

VIX!


SUZANNE!


LA DAMA!


AND...
That other one!
I wore my graffiti print skirt, it's not that I stood there too long

Terrifyingly - to anyone who has a passing familiarity with my sense of direction - I designated myself tour guide and dragged everyone off to Shoreditch. Now, as any fule kno - the East End is no longer synonymous with the denizens of The Queen Vic (or Jack the Ripper, or the Krays) but is the natural haunt of the hipster in London. Locals are used to bearded men in cardigans putting up flyers for vegan crunk nights*, girls with undercuts and 80s batwing jumpers get barely a second glance. However, being out with these three was like being out with some kind of rock supergroup. Or possibly Courtney Love on the razz with Harry Styles. Seriously, we got stopped and asked for photographs. We got sneakily papped while we ate pancakes in Spitalfields market. We got cat-called [once by crackheads, admittedly. But one of the Indian restaurant owners was very taken with Vix, calling her his 'tropical banana'. All these guys ever say to me is 'come in, come in, lamb bhuna is on special today']. I think I need to make more of an effort. 

Erm, yeah, we're err, Little Mix. Honest

Suzanne claimed the bargain of the day at Absolute Vintage - a £1 cheongsam languishing in their bargain bin. [My £4 version is here]. No doubt they doubted their chances of finding someone tiny enough to fit in it outside of Hong Kong - seriously, it was weeny - but as you can see it looks incredible on her.

Suzanne Wong


Another highlight was finding a subterranean vintage market held in the old Victorian public toilets. Dora and Vix bought skirts while I wrestled with my ever growing attraction to 80s goth prom dresses. I blame my addiction to John Hughes films and the fact that I was 13 when the decade ended - I didn't get to wear any of the fun stuff.


I didn't buy it, even though the lady offered to knock a tenner off. It was a bit big and also cut so I'd have been flashing my gusset with every step. Leggings would have solved the second problem but I'm not enough of a needlewoman to start attempting to take things in. 

Despite proclaiming that she wasn't shopping, Vix got a fabulous skirt for a ten quid (pic on her blog), and I felt strangely relieved that the queen of thrifty vintage managed to find something in the smoke that wasn't too ridiculously priced. These Topshop sequin shorts were quite fun (found at another vintage market on Brick Lane), but I think I'll be able to find them cheaper on eBay:

Awkward grin. Cameras still freak me out.
 I like black. Matches my cat.

I did get a denim waistcoat a la Vix for £4, but the best buy from here was Dora's 'Blade Runner' shades. Excuse me for going all Project Runway for a minute - but FIERCE!


Why yes that is a chartreuse glitter skull on my head, thanks for noticing.
Can you believe someone actually asked her if she'd ever been to Mexico?

It was great to meet 3 such incredible women who are just as cool as their blogs would suggest - thank you also for the wonderful gifts (I had a mild and as it turned out totally justified panic about this before I left - my main excuse is not having left the house in a week aside from school pick ups. I will reciprocate somehow). If anyone else is planning a London trip and fancies meeting up do give me a shout via my blog email - I am checking it again now!

Hmm, 40 million blog posts to read. I may be some time.

Lakota x



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Yes, it's an oldie. But makes me laugh.


31 comments:

  1. Don't know what made me take a look at your blog site this morning but was pleased and delighted I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you're back! Not to worry, i've been equally as slack! good to see pics of you for a change too.xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I'm so glad you all had fun and yay for a post :) X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lakota,
    Your post has me in stiches!
    I enjoyed every minute of it. It was so surreal. We should do it again. I promise to bring less heavy bags. We need to hit the boot sales and charity shops next.

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. Highly entertaining post! Sounds like such a fun day. I sent my boyfriend that video last year when he moved from an uncool part of East London (Manor Park) to the Barbican (he's very much not a dickhead though).
    I've found a few great vintage pieces at reasonable prices in Spitalfieldd/Brick Lane, so glad to see it wasn't a complete fluke. I'm in London again end of Nov to mid Jan. if you want to hit a car boot sale with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to meet up, definitely. Give me a shout when you return x

      Delete
  6. Yay! That's perked me right up, I've had to do some work today and that's given me a much needed boost! What a fab time we had. Shame it went so quickly. I don't know what we'd have done without your expert guidance, can't wait to do it again! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gawwwwwwwwwwwd I missed you so, so much ... you'll never really know!!! Vix, Suz and Dora were just the combo to crow-bar you back into Blogland - hooraaaaaaaay!!!!! You are fecking gawwwwwwjuss darlin' and I love seeing pics of you in gorgeous gear especially SEQUINNED HOTPANTS!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you back blogging. I didn't get to wear any of the fun '80s stuff either. I just have hideous memories of lycra neon cycling shorts and shell suits :-/ I shudder at the thought of them now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in London 2 weeks ago! I should have e-mailed you and had you take me around to some charity shops! That would have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There you are! Good to have you back, I've missed your witty take on life and blogging. And what better way to get your arse back in gear than a meet up with some fabulous blog pals. Going anywhere with Vix is like being a member of a celebrity's entourage. Except she's nice to you and doesn't expect you to buy her drinks or carry her bags. I bet you, Vix, Dora and Suzanne turned heads wherever you went. Love the 80s frock and the sequin hot pants - buy some soon, please! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back Lakota! That was a funny read. You certainly do need to get some sequin shorts because they look great on you.
    I actually modelled some frantically disgusting 80's lycra neon cycle shorts back in the day. My face in the pictures says, ''just shoot me now.'' The company went bust. Oops.
    I've never been to the East End in all my years spent in London. I'm clearly no hipster. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. and a fab time was had by all( including those reading and looking at the photos)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilarious post, Lakota - great to see you back. Nice to see you gals caused a stir and shook up the locals. And a subterranean vintage market in old washrooms? This I will have to see one day - I'll call you to be my tour guide!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi my dear!! So pleased to see you back in blog land and what better way than with a blogger meet! You all looked so fabulously stylish and it looked a real fun day!! Would be really nice to meet you one day, I am only East London/Essex for some charity shopping!! Have a good weekend!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello

    Your meet up looked like so much fun love the Prostitute Barbie poster hehe love the outfits!

    Please check out http://hayleythrills.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous to have you back Lakota, and with such a totally lol post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to see you blogging again. It looks like a fantastic shopping day. I'd love to come out with you all if I ever get near London again but I'm afraid I would be " I used to shop in Kensington Indoor Market in the 80s". That was a truly incredible place, shame it's not there anymore. I did go to Camden a couple of times too but I understand it is much more commercial now?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay!!! I was only bemoaning your absence the other day to my husband!!! Welcome back, tis tres jolie to see you!! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look friggin gorgeous! It was so nice to see you out and about and without you I hear none of you would have never left the train station.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  20. You ladies are super gorgeous stylish! And it's so good to see you back around. You had me going with that rehab bit at first.

    ReplyDelete
  21. SO good to see your blog post this morning, and what a great comeback with all of you together on a shopping expedition, fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you are back again.
    Shame about the dress not fitting as it looks really good on you. Looks like a fab blogger meet up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha, lovely! Looks like the blogger meet up was a lot of fun! Welcome back! That glitter skull is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant! Welcome back! looks like a brilliant day out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks like basically the best ladies day out EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello! Glad to see your lovely photos and get to shop with you from afar! Looks like a groovy time was had by all. :)

    XOXO
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm *finally* catching up! Oh it was such a lovely day & your return to blogland had me pissing myself with laughter! Still working on my post, got pummeled with all & sundry (latest a lovely pipe leak two floors up that left a nice big mess in the basement, ah the joys of home ownership!) since back, as well as some of my pics went missing, but I think I've found them all now, so no more excuses! It really was fab meeting you, thanks for taking over as tour guide! I never would have thought to go to Brick Lane as the last time I was there it was only starting to get "cool", I would have led us to Notting Hill, usually crazy expensive but I always manage a bargain under 10 quid, high-end designer no less! You seriously need those shorts to show off your hot pins baby! Love & Miss you XXX

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome back, I spotted you in Vix's post about the day out. Looked like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.