Saturday 9 April 2011

Owls and Extra-terrestrials...

Greetings thrifty earthlings! Hope everyone is benefiting from the same glorious weather we've had here in London for the past few days. A lovely friend of mine looked after smallest boy for a few hours on Friday, and in addition to boring household chores, I was able to have a more leisurely than usual stroll around the charity shops of the area. Naturally, this being the UK, the temperature nudges above 12 degrees centigrade and convertibles are brought out of hibernation for their annual outing, men are shirtless outside the pub, and women start dressing for the set of a MTV video shoot. Obviously I'm not entirely immune to this phenomenon, my first finds being a cross between Copacabana and Kanye.



Loving the tropical fruit on this rattan framed bag £3.95
Vintage yellow aviators £2.95  

Things were slightly more restrained and Spring-like in the next shop, where my eye was caught by this Sadler coffee pot and cute vintage cruet in the shape of owls. I bought these with the intention of selling them on - I'm thinking of starting an Etsy shop and I know owls are perennially popular - but I'm a bit taken with them since I got them home and they're sat on a shelf. How do re-sellers part with things? I have a ton of stuff I've vaguely thought about selling but that mysteriously seems to have taken up residence. (This could explain why I was able to take 5 glass cake stands to the bake sale at my toddler group recently...)



Wise guardians of the coffee pot


Pretty floral teacup and saucer 50p. Joining the ranks for candle-making

The fabric behind the china buys is from a vintage St Michael double flat sheet. There's loads of material so someone with the know-how could easily make a dress. It would certainly be cheap enough to practise on, so maybe I'll hang onto it for a first attempt. Otherwise it will provide several million patchwork squares or a mile or so of bunting. 

I did pick up a sundress from Boden as well, but that's destined for Ebay. It was quite expensive but is absolutely right for the season so I'm hoping to make a little profit from it without feeling like I'm ripping the charity off. Also, it's a bit big so makes me look pregnant. Not a look I need 3 years from my last baby.

Finally, it's possibly my favourite buy of the week. Even if you can find it in 100% cotton, children's character bed linen is generally pretty hideous. I read all the aspirational home magazines and always wonder if Cosmo's Ben10 duvet cover was mysteriously in the wash the day that Country Living came round:

"Sorry darling, mummy accidentally spilt coffee on your bed , but never mind, here's a vintage hand quilted eiderdown instead! Oh, and I've put all your transformers in the attic. Just for today, let's pretend your favourite toy is this artfully distressed wooden dog on wheels!"

Anyway, also on the linen rail was this cotton sheet, starring everyone's favourite alien. No, not Seven of Nine from Star Trek. E.T.! The sheet has these iconic pictures from the film - which is nearly vintage by Etsy standards, as it was released in 1982.







'Home'. Sob, sniff etc.

I don't know if it was originally in such a nice muted palette or if it's faded over the years, but it's super soft and clean and as it was only £1 it came home with me. I don't do hospital corners so it's unlikely to end up on either of my boys' beds, but I might staple it round some canvasses and make art for their bedrooms, or use it to make cushions. Failing that, there's always the fantasy Etsy shop...

[note to self: avoid key words 'Drew Barrymore' and 'bed'. Could attract the wrong sort]

Lakota x

36 comments:

  1. awww ET is so cute,we have the tacky barbie and thomas the tank engine on kids beds,massive fail if i wanted to be in home magazine!
    I like the owls too.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, the sunshine also brings out every idiot on the road I have noticed today - my horn has had a proper workout *wink*. Loving the owls, a def keeper, and as for et - amazing find. The bag is super cute too so would have been chuffed with that find. As for reselling, well Im a seasoned ebayer but it is hard to part with stuff but im trying to be strong and clear room for the new thrifty bits walking through my door - there has been quite a few this last week which ive got to photo and do a bloggy bit on. Have a fabulous sunday too Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super-cool buys this week for you! Very jealous of the leisurely look-around your friend afforded you. I can't wait til the day arrives I can go into a charity shop sans push chair. Luckily my favourite charity shop used to be Adams childrenswear so it has automatic doors and is spacious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds - love the ET sheet. I remember going to see the film whe it first came out and sobbing my eyes out.

    Gorgeous & sunny here on the coast - packed with day trippers though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WIN!! on all your findings! Love the S&P owls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving the tropical fruit rattan bag and the kanye style sunglasses! i also fell in low with the faded ET sheet, great idea to make them as pillow cover or wall decoration, the owls are so cute and the teacup? I'm drooling over it hehehe, i've been hearing lots of commotion these couple of days too when usually it's oh so quiet outside in my neighborhood, children are playing on the street, the cars seem to be louder with loud music when passing by! Great finds, Lakota! such treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that picture and that ET quilt reminds me how scared my daughter was of ET when she was a kid.Mind you I didnt even know that till a few years ago ha ha I am pretty sure that son was scared too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I adore that tropical fruit bag...the bright colors and pattern make me all warm and happy inside! And you can never go wrong with owls...too, too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lakota, firstly gosh you make me laugh...loved the bit about Cosmo's duvet!
    Secondly, I have that E.T. bed linen but in cot size - I have no use for it but I couldn't leave it behind when I found it in the op-shop. Have never seen the movie because I knew it would be too sad and I was a very sensitive child. My sister still has her E.T. doll and it is slightly creepy.

    Love Carmen Miranda-ish bag x

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL @ character of Mum pre-home deco shoot. So true - those can't be the kids' rooms, right? Loving all of your new kinds, from the ET sheet to the owls. And that fruit bag could not be more on trend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother had the ET bedding!!!

    Love the new bag, perfect for parading in the Spring sunshine,

    Victoria xx

    PS Thank you for the birthday wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds!

    I've sold a couple of things and I think that the hardest part is letting go of some of the first items. I've realized that there are a lot of things that can be replaced and that usually helps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another lovely stash of thrify finds! I can't believe the ET linen was only £1... really love it and would look great as a picture for the wall... fab bag too and very summery which is perfect for this lovely sun we are having at the mo! Etsy shop is a great idea... I reckon when you start getting into the swing of it you won't become too attached to things (perhaps!!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, these owls, i see them kicking up everywhere... in the end they will come to charm me too, i guess, if in the right colour, shape and texture???? i dunnooooooo!
    good luck with setting up the business. enjoying the golden weather down here too, well not far from you... ;)
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. these owls are so cute and beautiful :) they are my fave animals :)

    xx viviane
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/2112419/hippie-boho-reloaded

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for making me smile this morning with your comment about magazine 'at home' shoots - I often wonder the same! And I really needed to smile this morning, really needed it x

    ReplyDelete
  17. All I can think of is George Michael in tight white shorts when I look at that bag and aviators !
    Owls are sooooo on trend what lovely finds, I'm with you on parting with my finds. I keep buying bits with the intention of selling on and somehow they just never seem to make it into the shop! Strange that .. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the bright colours on the bag, the cool shades and the wonderful ET bedding. ET - remember going to see it when I was eleven and thinking the woman who took me was mad for crying at it. How times changed as now I blub quite merrily. My finds are bits of art this week over at http://gigglingatitall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi again :) I'm pretty sure you could wear a playsuit, my dear - just add some tights and a long line cardi :)
    kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the bag lovely bright colours for summer all the other finds a fab too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know me and tea cups, that one's a real belter, oh and I love the ET material, takes me back. I would have killed for bed linen in that material when I was about 8. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great finds, I'm very impressed! It's such a shame that ET went home :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. visiting from atg... "wise guardians of the teapot" love that! lol also, great teapot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your bag and your owls. The ET sheet took me back, I used to so love that film and I cried so much when I watched it ... ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your post brought such a smile to me this morning. I also found some owls this weekend. Like you my first thought is to sell them to someone who appreciates them. It takes forever for me to get things listed and off. I am trying to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are some fun finds! Cute purse! And love the ET sheet also! I've never seen that one. I hope you'll open that etsy shop *winks* Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  27. I completely lost the thread of what you were saying and had to go back and read again! This is because my mum just gave me the EXACT same bedding as you have in your background. How spooky! I intend to make bedding for DD's bed with it - although I'd much rather have the ET one!!!

    Thanks for linking up xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I totally hear you on the difficulties of parting ways with goods. My husband will notice something on a shelf that I said I was going to sell, give a deep sigh and ask why this particular item is no longer available to the general public. Ha!

    And I love those little owls! I think it's perfectly okay to hold on to them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your little owls are cute. I do that all the time - I keep meaning to open an etsy shop with my finds, but then they wiggle their way into my heart and I can't think of letting them go. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aww, the ET thing is adorable, and I like that coffee pot a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the huge floral sheet - great find.I've used vintage sheets to back quilts and cut up to make cute cot sheets. Plan to make pyjama pants too one of these days - though bunting sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow I adore the coffee pot and the ET sheet. I think it would make really cute little aprons for your boys x

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's a great teapot with a nice lid!

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOVE this post! Your prose cracks me up! I always wonder when reading decor magazines if the kids are allowed any toys or just sit in their white bedrooms afraid to scuff the immaculately polished floorboards ;-) I am seriously envious of your E.T sheets!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.