Tuesday 1 March 2011

Happy St David's Day




Happy St David's Day - Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant Hapus - to any Welsh readers, or just anyone who's pleased that Spring is on the way. I don't live in Wales any more, and whilst St Patrick's day seems to have been seized upon in England as an excuse to drink Guinness, I think I'm going to have to make my own Welsh cakes.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to try making this traditional Welsh treat - they're sold in all the bakeries and markets back home, and are best served warm with a sprinkling of sugar.

Welsh Cakes

Ingredients (makes a baker's dozen, at around 180 calories each)
  • 8oz Self Raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp mixed spice
  • 4oz Butter (pref salted), plus extra for greasing
  • 85g/3oz Caster Sugar
  • handful of sultanas
  • 1 egg
  • splash of milk, if needed

Method

{traditionally these are cooked on a 'bakestone' or griddle, but a heavy based frying pan will work ok}

  • Sieve the flour and spices into a large bowl, and add the butter. 
  • Rub the butter into the flour to make 'breadcrumbs'
  • Add the fruit and sugar and mix together.
  • Beat the egg, then add to the mixture until it forms a dough. You may need to add some milk as well.
  • Roll out onto a floured surface about 1/2 inch thick and cut into scone sized rounds with a circular cutter. (I use a 2.5 inch one)
  • Rub the griddle or pan with some butter (wiping off any excess) and heat it up on the hob.
  • Cook the Welsh Cakes for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown, being careful not to burn them.
  • Sprinkle with sugar and devour!



These are husband's favourite thing about Wales, aside from some of our idiosyncracies of speech. He's particularly taken with people saying things like "nice boots, them shoes" or "I'll be there now in a minute after". I think a trip back over the Severn Bridge is long overdue...

9 comments:

  1. Happy St David's Day to you too. Enjoy your Welsh cakes - they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St David's Day - happy Cooking too. Being half Irish I must admit I do get swept up in paddy's day ;o) Scarlett x
    p.s postcard say 'to greet my dear grand-son's Birthday' - love it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diolch yn fawr (thank-you very much)! My sons went to scool with novelty leek badges adorning their uniform today.
    It's bara brith for tea here, we already eat a ton of Welsh cakes, I love it:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1786/sugarcrusted-bara-brith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St Davids Day to you too my dear, have a great week ahead x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy St David's Day! I do love a freshly cooked Welsh cake. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy St David's Day too from me! I've never tried Welsh cakes, but will have to now I've seen the recipe - they sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog I am your newest follower. Come check me out if you get a chance. Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy St Davids Day to you, and thank you very much for checking out my blog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy st David's Day! And Thankyou for the Welsh cakes recipe. We had a lovely break in Snowdonia over New Year, ate many of these, warming them with the hotel iron and hair dryer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.